Click the image for the latest edition of my newsletter, which is all about LOVE!!!
In my Living Fit Club, we journal or review our “Design Your Life” journals daily.
Today’s subject was Courage.
Write your viewpoint on courage and fear and how they relate to each other. Then write how they relate to you.
-How would your most courageous self look?
-How would you feel?
-What would you do differently?
-If you knew you had nothing to lose, what would you be doing that you haven’t done?
Here’s what I wrote:
Fear is a feeling.
Courage is having the ability to press through fear and feelings to do, say or accomplish whatever is necessary.
My most courageous self knows HOW, WHEN or WHY I need to act or speak.
She follows through.
She sets her mind like flint and presses into difficulty, seeking guidance and wisdom.
She acts and feels confident in spite of circumstance, and answers fear “feelings” with faith STATEMENTS!
She does whatever she feels called to do, designing her life the way she envisions it.
She accepts unpleasant tasks she has to do and strikes a balance between acknowledging that it’s not her ideal/choice and REALITY, choosing joy instead of discouragement.
If I had nothing to lose, I would ask/tell everyone about my business and dive in without giving fear any credibility.
Essential oils that enhance this exercise:
Stress Away, Copaiba, Sacred Mountain, Gathering, Believe, Idaho Balsam Fir, Valor, Valor II (I used Lavender and Northern Lights Black Spruce)
Here’s my recipe for a roll-on called “Better than Wine” (highly relaxing, makes you feel giddy and unwound)
10 drops each
The key is topping with Young Living Relaxation Massage oil as a carrier 😌 #betterthanwine
Here’s how you can get oils for your own roll-ons like this!
Make your own labels for adorable roller bottles with the Silhouette Cameo 3, which is what I use.
Ready for a monthly newsletter complete with tips, tricks, promos, classes, and input from OTHER members? Check out the first edition of
“EOEL: OFFLINE,” the official newsletter of Essential Oils for Everyday Life!
Click the graphic or get the PDF here: EOEL OFFLINE_ Nov ’17
If you like what I’m doing for my team, you can become a member and be part of my exclusive Facebook group, EOEL. Over 500 people there are talking oils!
Took a little break to get my health back on track.
I’ve cut gluten, sugar, dairy, processed foods, coffee (all caffeine except Slique tea and Ningxia Nitro, actually), and alcohol from my diet in the last week, and I feel amazing. I can breathe better, my inflammation and congestion are greatly decreased, and my essential oils work better in my body. I also ran twice and did yoga once. It wasn’t all my exercise hopes and dreams for the week, but I’ll take it.
I have also been tracking NSVs (NON scale victories) including:
- perfect digestion after years of nausea and dumping syndrome that doctors call “IBS”
- hooked my bra on the smallest strap
- saddlebags gone and fat pockets on legs greatly reduced (I gain weight in weird places)
- better sleep than I’ve ever had in my life
- freedom from food obsession (what should I eat next, how many calories is this, etc)
Do you guys notice better mood and sleep when you are eating well and exercising? It’s not a new discovery, but it’s interesting for me to note that *I* myself am making these discoveries for the first time in my own life.
It was just time for me. I don’t know how else to describe why I took the plunge. I don’t know what habits I’ll carry over after my 10-day reset is over, but I think gluten and dairy are going to be on the chopping block pretty intensely.
I’d love to hear what lifestyle changes you have made that compliment your essential oil use and how they’ve affected your brain!
For most of my life, I have felt completely out of control of my emotions.
Having an abusive father growing up was devastating to my family. As the second oldest of five, I was old enough to understand what was going on at home as I watched things escalate with my parents and siblings.
Three of the five of us kids had suicidal attempts or gestures. One was in foster care for three years. To say that our home was chaotic was an understatement.
My dad used to stand in the doorway of my bedroom and berate me for HOURS. I still have dreams about this scenario.
One day, a few months into my marriage, I woke John up in the middle of the night punching him in the face. He tried to stop me, and before I was completely coherent, I said, “I was winning.”
The person I was fighting in my dream was my dad.
Yeah, it’s messed up. So are my emotions, many days. Sometimes I don’t know what or who I am really fighting and it takes time to sort out something simple and realize it’s not the issue at hand, but rather something deeper that is surfacing as a result of the issue at hand.
All this feeling and sorting out can be exhausting, and what I never understood for years was that many physical symptoms of mine were related to my emotional pain.
It wasn’t until I met Tonya Kerrin at the Young Living Silver Retreat in Salt Lake City, Utah, in October that I really “got” the mind-body-spirit connection. As a C.A.R.E. certified and licensed practicer of the Raindrop Technique and emotional release, she helped me connect what was happening in my body to what was happening in my mind so that I could release some of those things and move past the darkness of my first 32 years of life.
Two books greatly aided this process:
Heal Your Body by Louise Hay: The Mental Causes for Physical Illness and the Metaphysical Way to Overcome Them
This book connects what is going on in your body with what is going on in your brain. The insight it provided me was phenomenal. Although not faith-based, many of the things taught here can be correlated with Scripture. I believe all truth is God’s truth, and although some may not recognize Him as the author and creator of life, I believe if what they share holds up to what the Bible says we can rejoice in the fact that God can speak through them!
Releasing Emotional Patterns With Essential Oils by Dr. Carolyn Mein
This is the book that connects essential oils to the issues you just identified that correlate your physical health and your emotional health. It gives graphs and charts that show you where to apply oils on the body (and it’s not as intuitive as you might think!), as well as which oils correspond with which emotions and the “way out,” aka a mantra or phrase to verbally speak that helps your body release those feelings.
Together with Release™ oil, these two books can help anyone identify the source of their physical concerns and then correlate an oil and a mantra with an alarm point and release those negative emotions. Ideally, this would be done with someone certified to walk you through the process; but, if there isn’t one near you, you can easily grab these two books (Amazon linked) and do a lot of introspective self help.
This process helped me a lot, and I hope it helps you on your journey toward mind-body-spirit wellness! To get Release™ or any other essential oils for your own journey, click here.
Lots of people have asked me about label coloring on Young Living essential oils. Some of them are intuitive. Lavender is purple when it grows out of the ground. Peppermint is green. Black pepper is … black/brown. Easy, right? And soooooo pretty!
But for blends it can be tricky to figure out the code. Let’s crack it using the seven chakras of the body!
Chakras — simply put — are points on our bodies through which energy flows. Blocked energy can often lead to illness, so it’s important to understand what each chakra represents and what we can do to keep this energy flowing freely.
Here’s a note my dear friend Cheryl sent me with a lava and semi-precious stone diffuser bracelet that helps me remember which chakras represent what:
So check this out! You can totally grab any color bottle and use this as an intuitive guide for where to apply your oils. Remember to align your intentions with each – survival, emotions, power, love, communication, intuition and spiritual awareness.
- Endoflex (red) at base of spine, benefits your kidneys and adrenals; necessary for survival
- Oola Family (orange) on abdomen, where your reproductive organs reside; hormones are produced there and are partly responsible for emotions
- Citrus Fresh (yellow) on solar plexus, aka navel, benefits digestion; your gut is the core of your body, where all the power of your immune system resides — many receptor sites where the body’s serotonin is synthesized and stored are in the intestine
- Aroma Life (green) goes over the heart; its cardiovascular benefits are directly related to this organ, which is associated with love
- Surrender (blue) goes over the throat and corresponds with communication; James 3:2, “We all stumble in many ways. If anyone is never at fault in what he says, he is a perfect man, able to control his whole body.” Surrendering your words to the power of the Holy Spirit in you gives life!
- Transformation (indigo) goes over the third eye (frontal lobe) and corresponds with the brain and intuition; Transformation™ includes Idaho Blue Spruce, Palo Santo, and Ocotea, which empower you to replace negative beliefs with uplifting thoughts when diffused
- Rutavala (violet) goes on the crown of the head and represents spiritual awareness; it is relaxing to the mind and appropriate for meditation or sleep
I hope that helps you demystify your oils and application as it pertains to both where you can put oils and why you would need them in each energy point of the body!
You can learn more about the emotional application of essentials here.
You know what I love about oils? You can get whatever you need from them.
Yup, it’s true. It almost doesn’t matter WHAT oil you use; their frequency and LIFE force will benefit your body if you set your intention to align with what they offer. Sounds really hippie-hippie, doesn’t it? I know. It’s ok. Read The Chemistry of Essential Oils Made Simple by Dr. David Stewart (or trust me on this — I’ve read it).
So because we can get whatever we need from oils, I wanted to go over ways that every oil in your Premium Starter Kit can benefit you emotionally, and WHY! How FUN!
- Lemon – the color of sunshine. Remember the mnemonic, “lemon = lift” and diffuse it or drink in your water to boost your mood. Full of a compound called d-limonene, which can help digestive balance (get the gunk out, you’ll feel better), improve your sleep, increase metabolism and assist healthy weight goals. All of which make you happier. Don’t under estimate this inexpensive but effective oil!
- Lavender – universally known for its relaxing and restorative properties, lavender in an epsom salt bath is one of the best ways to help your body naturally rid itself of negative anything, including emotions. High in Linalool, which is known to reduce stress, including measurable cortisol levels.
- Peppermint – high in phenols, which help clean cellular receptor sites, this is a refreshing and cleansing oil. Applying or diffusing peppermint can feel renewing, and should be Step 1 in any essential oil routine for emotional health. Breathe deeply and allow it to enter your whole body through the lungs. It will “clear” your energy (and sinuses) really well.
- Copaiba – copaiba oil is made up of 55% beta-caryophyllenes . Hang with me. It’s hard to pronounce, but it’s what’s in marijuana that makes weed so relaxing. But, copaiba oil doesn’t contain anything hallucinogenic, so it’s legal! WIN. If you’ve ever thought to yourself, “next stop: cannabis” – you need to try copaiba first. It’s approved for internal use so I like to take it in a capsule, but you can certainly diffuse or apply this oil topically.
- Frankincense – frankincense has those deep, earthy, grounding scent notes. Those come from sesquiterpenes, which uplift the spirit and act as a tonic for stressed nerves. I love to put it on my frontal lobe. The frontal lobe is involved in motor function, problem solving, spontaneity, memory, language, initiation, judgement, impulse control, and social and sexual behavior. All great reasons to use it on your forehead, and bonus: great for your skin. It was a gift of the Kings, given to baby Jesus, and it has some POWERFUL regenerative properties. This means it is also good for cellular health. Know what’s stored in DNA? Trauma. There, go use your frank. Get those cells healthy and overcome the feelings associated with negative events in your past.
- Thieves – don’t let anyone “steal” your joy! (See what I did there? Thieves/steal … I am not as funny as I think I am.) But really, people’s energy can drag you DOWN, and Thieves is a blend created to help combat germs. It does the same for emotional junk, and can help provide a barrier against people who are acting like germs! (Because when your emotions are distressed, your immune system is also weakened. Cool, huh?) You can use the oil blend on the outside of your throat daily, to help guard against speaking words that do not edify. The easiest way to guard agains other peoples’ emotional and physical germiness is to use the Waterless Hand Purifier often, and in public. Next time that pesky person goes THERE with you, break it out and you’ll look like you’re sanitizing your hands but really … you’re sanitizing your SOUL.
- Digize – I admit this isn’t my favorite smelling blend, but it was what I needed
most when I was pregnant, and I am forever grateful for it! Need to “digest” something? A thought, a conversation, new learning, a circumstance? This is your oil! Do not under estimate the effects of stress on your digestives. Rub it clockwise on your belly or take it in a capsule. I made myself a bottle with a dropper top, containing 1:4 ratio DiGize:EVOO because I have a sensitive tummy but I need to maintain a “healthy microbiological environment” and straight DiGize is a little tough even in a capsule. Now I can make caps with a carrier any time I need, no excuses!
- Purification – this is a perfect oil for confession of sin. Read Psalm 51 while you diffuse or apply this phenomenally purifying blend. When we mess up, admitting it is the first step to moving on. I mess up a lot, so I crave this blend often. If you need or want someone else to admit their mess-up, try diffusing it around them for a surreptitious emotional effect. #YoureWelcome
- PanAway – do you know how much pain can come from emotions? So much pain. Emotional pain can translate directly to physical pain. This PanAway blend is soothing and refreshing, partly because it contains helichrysum, which is great for nerves. Just use YLsearch.com to learn more about helichrysum + nerves. Helichrysum alone is $85 for a 5ml bottle, so finding blends with helichrysum in them is like finding a GOLD MINE. Use this stuff for your nerves and emotional pain. Topically is best.
- RC – sometimes decision-making can be hard, and not knowing what to do in a certain situation can really feel like emotional congestion and chaos. Like a brick wall, or a fog. Breathe in RC by applying to your chest/throat or diffusing. Breathe in life. Breathe in goodness. Breathe in clarity. JUST BREATHE. Breathing is oxygenating and helps us release that which weighs us down. Often, respiratory issues are connected to emotional “weight” so if you ever feel like you have an actual brick on your chest, use this oil on your chest or diffused.
- Stress Away – I mean, I saved this for last because it’s so obvious. It’s like a big, flashing Exit sign. Take the exit, skip the traffic. The emotional highway is exhausting. Bathe in this oil, literally and liberally. It’ll feel like a vacation on the path that’s daisy-littered instead of polluted. Mmm-kay?
Well, now you know how to use every oil in your starter kit for your feelings! Isn’t that awesome?!
If you want your own kit with these 11 oils and a diffuser, click here.
I have wanted to make DIY perfume for YEARS, and I finally did! It’s SO easy.
Here’s the basic guideline:
- 12-20 drops total of Base Essential Oils like: Cedarwood, Vanilla, Vetiver, Ylang Ylang, Sandalwood, etc
- 25-30 drops of middle tone oils like Rose, Lavender, Chamomile or Geranium
- 12-15 drops of top note oils like Bergamot, Wild Orange or Neroli
- 4 ounces of alcohol to preserve and meld scents
I used what I LOVE!
- 12 drops Royal Hawaiian Sandalwood
- 5 drops sacred frankincense
- 4 drops cedarwood
- 4 drops ylang ylang
- 10 drops rose
- 10 drops jasmine
- 6 drops lemon myrtle
- 6 drops tangerine
- 3 drops Melissa
You can use what you love! You can get the purest oils in the world from Young Living Essential Oils. Read why here.
This post is important because I hope I can explain the reason I am putting so much emphasis on emotional health. I am learning more and more about the ways that our feelings have direct (often negative) impact on our health.
This is also Biblical.
Prov. 17:22, “A joyful heart is good medicine, but a broken spirit dries up the bones.”
A couple of years ago, I went through some times where I was very very COLD. At the time I used a machine called a Zyto compass, which is a biocommunication tool programmed specifically for Young Living essential oils. I would suffer from cold for a couple hours and then remember to scan myself. While normally this machine would scan for several items or oils, during these periods of cold I would scan for one Young Living oil blend, and one alone.
Can you guess? Bet you can’t.
It was: Gratitude essential oil.
I was so mad! I really was genuinely upset by this result. You judgmental Zyto, you! Are telling me the antidote to my chill is GRATITUDE? Are you freaking kidding me? What, am I not THANKFUL enough? Is lack of gratitude (the sentiment) making me literally cold? (Once after consuming an entire bag of Swedish Fish in one sitting, it scanned me for STEVIA. If you don’t want to be mad at an inanimate object, maybe don’t scan yourself if you can’t handle being TOLD. Just saying!)
Mad as I was, I applied the oil head to toe. I am talking HEAD TO TOE, on the crown of my head, my forehead, back of neck, over heart, wrists, navel and feet.
Having been cold for hours, under a blanket with a heating pad and multiple layers of clothing, my husband even laying on me for warmth, my body returned to its normal feeling temperature within minutes of applying the oil and verbally naming things I was thankful for. Not kidding.
Now, I use an easier device called the iTOVi, which is only the size of a fun-sized candy bar and runs off a mobile application.
This weekend I was dealing with some very specific health needs and my scan came up with Common Sense, Abundance, and 3 Wise Men, primarily. Surprisingly, the number of biopoints that were out of range was the lowest I have ever had, with only 40 out of 273 showing as out of range.
The oils in Common Sense™ (blend) are known to be calming and relaxing, helping to balance irrational thinking and rash decisions.
Abundance™ was specifically designed to enhance magnetic energy and to create the law of attraction through the magnetic field around us, to enhance one’s thoughts by electrical stimulation of the somatides and the cells, and to put out a frequency charge of prosperity and abundance. The oils in this blend may help it be effective for dealing with various problems related to the immune and respiratory* systems and to emotional balance. **No surprise, the issues I have been dealing with pertain to respiratory health.
The highly spiritual nature of the oils in 3 Wise Men™ allow it to open the crown chakra and facilitate the release of negative emotions. This blend brings a sense of grounding and uplifting through memory recall. It also keeps negative energy and negative emotions from reattaching to the body.
I was astounded by this result. Essentially, some key decisions I was mulling over in my head had become physically agonizing to me. My very breathing was affected. My energy was dragged down, my immune system was struggling, and I was in pain from what my mind was worrying about.
Whaaaaat? Do you see how the mind, body and spirit are connected?
I hope this information is helpful and inspirational to you!
If you are interested in purchasing an iTOVi for home or business use, click here. There is an affordable payment plan where you can purchase the device for $9.99 and pay $39.99/month for access. I recommend anyone who purchases 300PV of product monthly get an iTOVi. Knowing what oils to use is as important as knowing how to use oils.